Mast

The Main mast, Top mast, Crosstrees, Bowsprit and Gaff have to be tapered. The taper on the Top mast and Crosstrees is not very large and was easily filed and sanded to size.
The main mast is tapered from 20 to 12mm. I made up a lathe using my large drill clamped in a stand. I made up a tail stock using 2mm steel bar fixed in a block of wood.
My first attempt was at the walnut Bowsprit which has a taper from 12 to 8mm. Using a chisel was slow and not very round. It bent in the middle and had to be supported by hand. I finished it with a file and 60 and 120 grit paper. Walnut is very nice to work with.
The Main Mast is made from pine as I could not source any large walnut. Turning ripped out the grain of the pine. I rough planed then used a file and sand paper to reach to correct taper, taking about 2 hours. The Pine is soft, it will be interesting how it stands up in use.

Lathe
Building the Main Mast

The Mast Top cap was made from 5mm Mahogany. I left 5mm around the large hole (top mast) as I was concerned about the material/grain strength along the centre line, both ends are drilled 0.7mm for the eyes. To add strength I glued a 3 x 0.2mm copper band around the edge and soldered the eyes.
The Crosstrees are left unglued in 3 x 10mm holes.
The Main Mast Top was made from 5mm Mahogany again leaving 5mm material around the holes. I added a copper band to the front to strengthen the eye.
Cast brass eye bolts have a small threaded stump which did not hold in the pine. I glued them in. They passed the "Yank" (pull) test. These eyes could be a source of problems as the load is a nearly a straight pull.
The Gaff support bar was cut, bent, glued in then soldered. I drilled out the hole.
Masking tape was used as a mask to stop the glue from staining the pine which will show up when staining/varnishing.

Building the Spars

The Top Mast has two brass Tangs at the top to locate the shrouds. They are made from 3 x 1mm strip cut and then bent to the curve of the mast. I used lengths of brass tube to rivet them together. The ends of the tube were enlarged with a pointed punch/hammer, then soldered to fill the holes.
As I was concerned about the strength of attaching the cast brass eyes to wood, I first soldered them to a length of the brass tube, passing it through the mast, then riveted the end, finally filling flush, or soldering on another eye.
The throat for the Boom was cut from a 5mm sheet of Mahogany, glued and riveted in two places. The Cleats were super glued on. The brass ring at the end was made from a soldered butt jointed strip. A hole was drilled for a Brass Eye which was soldered on.
The Bowsprit Crance (ring at the end) was made copper strip, overlapped then soldered. Four holes were drilled and brass eyes soldered in.